Group/Organization Volunteer Instructions
for Housing Move-In
The Department of Housing and Residence Life is eagerly preparing for Move-In, and one of our most important pieces is missing: YOU! We are looking for great volunteers to represent the USI community to our new students and families that will be moving in on Thursday, August 22. If your organization wishes to participate in assisting with Move-In 2013, this page will assist you in getting members of your group or organization signed up.
Step 1: Discuss with members of your organization if they want to participate
as an organization. There are benefits to participating including having your organizations name listed on the back of the Move-In t-shirts, the opportunity to wear other items to promote your group, and each volunteer will receive a free shirt.
Step 2: Establish times or number of hours members of your organization will volunteer. Do members volunteer when they want to or do you want designated time blocks? Each shift and location has a specific number of volunteers needed, so you will need to have flexibility in signing people up.
Step 3: Fill out a "Volunteer Registration" for each volunteer. This form is in the right menu. We staff each area with a specific number of volunteers, and knowing who will be where is vital to our move-in process. If you have a member of the organization just fill out one registration form for the organization, it will only show one person volunteering, which means only ONE t-shirt for your WHOLE group. Don’t lose out on a FREE T-SHIRT! We suggest that each member fills out the volunteer registration form for themselves. If one member of the group signs everyone up, you will the following information for each volunteer to complete the registration form: name, email address, and t-shirt size .
Step 4: Make sure to have all volunteer registration forms completed by August 1, 2013. This is our priority deadline. If you sign up before this date, you’ll be guaranteed your shirt size, and your group will be recognized on the move-in shirts! After August 1, we will not be able to guarantee a shirt size for you or put your organizations name on the shirt.
While we know that Move-In is a great opportunity to connect with new students, we require all volunteers to wear the Move-In t-shirt. This helps our new students and families know who to ask for assistance. You may wear other items to promote your group, but the Move-In shirts are a must for us during this process. Remember that this is a time when ALL of USI is welcoming new students… you’ll have plenty of time to recruit once the school year starts!
Some details on the sign-up process:
- You will only be able to log in to sign up for your times ONCE. Before you begin the process, be sure you have checked with your group coordinator to ensure that you’re signing up for the correct times.
- When writing your organization’s name, be sure to spell out the entire name—this will ensure your group gets recognized correctly!
- Once you have entered your basic information, you’ll be directed to the scheduling page, where you can select the times and locations to assist with move-in. If a time has a line through it, that time already has enough volunteers, so you’ll need to select a different time.
- If you’re looking to sign up with someone else, you can check the numbers beside each shift to see how many more volunteers we need—if you want to sign up with your friends, selecting the shift with only one or two spaces left might not work out so well.
- You will receive a reminder email with your times and locations, via the email address you submitted during the registration process, no later than August 10.
- If your group signs up for a time and you can’t make it, please notify Michael Stokes at firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 468-2000. Any times you sign up for need to be filled by YOUR ORGANIZATION; however, you should still notify Michael of any changes.
- If you have problems or need to make changes with regards to Move-In volunteers, please contact Michael Stokes at email@example.com or (812) 468-2000.
If you are living on campus in the fall and wish to move in early to volunteer with Move-In Day, please go to https://www.usi.edu/housing/online-forms/early-check-in-request to request an early move-in date AFTER you have signed up for your volunteer times.
We’re very excited that you are helping with Move-In! We’ll see you soon!